Crafting Stories, Connecting Minds

The Hive

Crafting Stories, Connecting Minds

The Hive

Crafting Stories, Connecting Minds

The Hive

Grades vs. Growth: Prioritizing True Understanding in Education

Journalists at The Hive worked with Mr. Fonts to publish some of his student’s Op-Ed articles. This is one of them.

You aren’t alone when you find yourself consistently studying for your next exam, striving for that 100, which will be scribbled boldly on top of your paper. You also aren’t alone when you aren’t able to recall that same material on the test you thought you aced. But what if the competition for grades is holding us back? 

Placing importance on a deep understanding of the materials being taught is significantly more crucial than striving for a numerical grade.  

Moreover, prioritizing grades over genuine learning and growth can limit your future potential to succeed. Jennifer Crocker, PhD, a psychologist at the University of Michigan’s Institute for Social Research, conducted a survey involving more than 600 college freshmen. The results indicated that 80 percent of the participants reported deriving their self-worth from academic competence. Simply put, a student weighs their level of accomplishment merely on the grade accomplished, not on the capacity of knowledge they attained. 

In reality, students draw the majority of their attention to short-term exams, failing to focus on what actually matters long-term. The process of studying for an upcoming exam signals the brain for temporary memory, but lasting understanding demands ongoing learning and authentic engagement with the material. 

However, the pursuit of a high numerical grade is not the only concern. Students worldwide are persistently doing anything in their utmost power to get a numerical grade over purely comprehending a certain topic. A recent study by New York University’s College of Nursing has revealed that 64 percent of students across 70 schools across the country have reported cheating during an exam. This cunning move by students is foreshadowing the behavior of future adults who will be in charge of this nation. There is no guarantee that a student that cheats during an exam in high school being overseen by a teacher, will not cheat in real-life circumstances to gain an advantage or bypass challenges. 

It is no surprise that students who are more oriented toward comprehension of materials are often the most successful in the long term. The investment that a student incorporates in their system that learning is more crucial than receiving a short-term academic grade does have its benefits. A study conducted by Office Depot demonstrates that students who prioritize the understanding of information presented become more satisfied in their future careers. 

You may have been told by your parents that you needed to get a certain academic average so you could set yourself up for future academic or career success. But that’s far from the truth. The University of Michigan study has shown that chasing a perfect grade discourages creativity and the ability to take risks in any field of pursuit. Creativity and risk-taking are crucial necessities in finding absolute success which is being hindered by every step in the rat race.

From personal experience, I have witnessed my peers stressed and discouraged about not achieving their desired grades on a test that they have studied all week for. This mindset has to change. As students, let’s focus on developing a growth mindset and adapting to new challenges and circumstances. This involves the process of unlearning outdated habits and adjusting to newer perspectives. That being said, do we really want to be defined by numerical accomplishment over true learning and continuous growth?